The northern side of the Gateway shopping centre had to be evacuated on Wednesday after a fire broke out at the My Diner restaurant
Lumes of black smoke could be seen from several kilometres away.
People from various restaurants, shops and a gym were also sitting outside watching the fire brigade in action.
The fire brigade’s northern region division commander, Jesse Yasudas, said they received the call at about 2pm.
Black smoke was billowing out of the building when they arrived and everyone had to be evacuated.
The first fire truck extinguished the fire. Firefighters had to work along the chimney (from which the smoke was pouring) to ensure that there were no further threats of another fire.
An investigation into the cause of the fire was under way. Gateway’s marketing manager, Michelle Kelly, said no injuries were reported.
The managers of My Diner declined to comment.Armed gunmen opened fire and made off with jewellery from Narandas Jewellers, also at Gateway, on Wednesday morning
The robbers then fled in a BMW which was later found abandoned on a construction site.
SAPS spokesman, Lieutenant-Colonel Shooz Magudulela, said the vehicle had been hijacked in Berea on Monday.
No injuries were sustained by Narandas staff. No arrest has been made and the police are still searching for the suspects, Magudulela said.
A case of business robbery has been lodged at the Durban North police station. The store manager declined to speak to the media about the robbery.
Ref: IOL Newsread more ...
eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality on Wednesday (22 June 2016) warned residents applying for the city’s artisan development programme of a scam in which con artists solicit an application fee via SMS
In a statement released, the municipality said that the fraudulent SMS is being sent from an unverified account and “notifies applicants that they must pay R2 000 for their application to be considered”.
Dr Mpilo Ngubane, who is head of the municipal academy, said that no municipal learnerships were for sale and the applications for this particular course closed on Friday, June 10.
“Should applicants receive any messages, they must verify these at the municipality’s application office,” said Ngubane.The municipality would not use SMSes to notify successful applicants, he said
“The municipality does not ask those seeking employment to pay for a job. It is not the practice of the municipality to take bribes in exchange for jobs.”
Members of the public are urged to report any suspicious messages to the city’s integrity and investigations unit on 0800 202020 and the South African Police Services on 10111.
Ref: Africa News Agencyread more ...
The Ad Hoc Committee that was established to facilitate the appointment of Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s successor says 21 nominations to fill the post have been received
Dr Makhosi Khoza, the Chairperson of the committee, said nominations have largely come from members of the public and no Members of Parliament were part of the list of nominations.
The Chairperson updated the media on the processes of consolidating nominees for the post on Wednesday.
“The Ad Hoc Committee … has thus far received 21 nominations and applications for the position of Public Protector,” she said.
The Public Protector’s term in office comes to an end in October after she assumed office in 2009. According to the Constitution, a person who gets appointed to the position can only serve for one term.Khoza said despite this, members of the public have continued to nominate the incumbent Public Protector
“The nominations received included, amongst others, the current standing Public Protector [Madonsela] and her Deputy Advocate Kevin Malunga.
“Advocate Madonsela’s name was nominated despite the legislative constraints … which limits an incumbent to occupying the office for only one term,” she said.
The closing date for members of the public to nominate or apply for the position of Public Protector is 24 June 2016.Shortly after the committee was appointed, it adopted a programme that was anchored on public participation
The committee advertised the vacancy on 3 June 2016 in all major national, regional and local newspapers, radio stations as well as on Parliament’s multimedia platforms.
Khoza said members of the public will be able to make their comments or objections between 27 June and 1 July 2016.
After the public participation process, the committee will convene for shortlisting during the week of 11 to 15 July 2016 with interviews expected to be held on 10 August 2016.
Ref– SAnews.gov.zaread more ...
The Gauteng Department of Education said it was deeply concerned by the disruption to schooling in that region, following a series of protests in Tshwane this week
“The Gauteng Department of Education has noted with concern the disruption of schooling in various areas around Tshwane as a result of the ongoing protest actions,” read a statement released by MEC Panyaza Lesufi’s office on Wednesday.
“It is of extreme concern to us, that when communities engage in protest actions, schools become targets resulting in learners losing valuable time,” continued the statement.
This is currently a critical period in the education calendar, with preparations for the National Senior Certificate Examinations shifting into third gear.Improving the Matric pass rate in Gauteng has been a priority this year, and there are now fears that the hard work which had been put into this year’s preparations is being undone
“Mid-year examinations for Senior Certificate candidates who are not full time were affected by the protests. We have engaged the Department of Basic Education and a decision will be made on when the backup papers will be written. Backup papers have been set for such eventualities.
In the interim plans are being made to ensure that there are no further disruptions to schooling, and that pupils remain safe during this tumultuous period.The other area of concern is that of state property, which has become an easy target for vandals during this series of protests
“We are working closely with the local police to monitor the situation and intervene where necessary. Our school patrollers have also been instructed to be vigilant and report instantly to the principals any suspicious activities around the schools during the day and night.
“We would like to make an appeal to community members and School Governing Bodies (SGBs) to assist the department in safeguarding of our schools, so that the future of our learners is not placed in jeopardy.”
Ref: SA Breaking Newsread more ...
My 2016 gets better and better.. On the July issue of @marieclairesa.. In stores TODAY! Ka pow! 🙌🏽👯👑🐝 #Cover #blackgirlmagic #marieclaire #magazine
Bonang talks about being bullied and the absolute worst heartache, in the July issue of Marie Claire
She admits that if the last six months had happened to her six years ago, she would have been broken.
She refers to the online shaming she has experienced, as well as her relationship with Euphonik.
“I have gone through the worst pain: an ex-boyfriend having a child with someone else during our relationship. Being beaten. Being cheated on. Being embarrassed on social media numerous times. Everything you can imagine and then some.”But now the star, is clearly happier than ever. On dating rapper, AKA, she says that he treats her like gold
As an emotional outlet, Queen B takes her frustration out in the boxing ring. “I box three times a week for an hour at a time. It’s a stress reliever.”